We know that Mexican food is famous around the world not just because of its exotic flavors but also because of its fusion with Californian food. But is a burrito which is a Californian invention real Mexican food? Or has it taken away its soul?
What is a burrito
A burrito is a type of Mexican-style food consisting of a wheat flour tortilla wrapped around a filling. Burritos are one of the most popular Mexican dishes in the United States.
The origins of the burrito are unknown, but the dish is thought to have been invented in northern Mexico or the American Southwest. The word “burrito” is derived from the Spanish word “burro”, meaning “donkey”. The burrito was originally called a “burro” because it was a typical working man’s lunch, which could be eaten while riding a donkey.
Burritos can be filled with a variety of ingredients, including meat, cheese, beans, rice, and vegetables. The most popular type of burrito is the “bean and cheese” burrito, which is made with refried beans and cheese. Other popular burrito fillings include chicken, beef, pork, and barbacoa.
Burritos are usually served with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole. They can be eaten as a breakfast, lunch, or dinner meal.
Are burritos authentic Mexican food?
There is much debate over whether or not burritos are authentic Mexican food. While burritos are believed to have originated in Mexico, the dish has become popular all over the world and has been heavily Americanized. There are many variations of the burrito, with some being more authentic than others. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide whether or not they consider burritos to be authentic Mexican food.
How to make a burrito
- Make the salsa by combining tomatoes and onions in a bowl. Then, add some cilantro and vinaigrette. Mix well.
- Start cooking the rice. Make sure to change the water as specified on the package, but also add some chicken broth to get all the flavor from the rice.
- Heat the tortillas as directed on the package.
- Place some rice on a tortilla.
- Place beans on the side of the rice.
- Add tomatoes and onions to the beans.
- Add salsa.
- Roll the burrito, but make sure it is tight.
- Heat the tortilla in the microwave for one minute (to melt the cheese).
- Slice the burrito with a pizza cutter.
- Take a bite and enjoy!
Or better yet, why not visit Blue Corn Restaurant in Baton Rouge, LA for authentic burritos and other Mexican food? It’s easier that way.